World's Largest Wartime Veterans Service Organization
On June 26th 1922 American Legion Post 116 of Fuquay Springs received their charter. Then the post acquired their first home post on April 18th 1927.It was in 1941 that the property the Legion now occupies was deeded by the Federal Government to the North Carolina State Board of Education. The Federal Government came into possession of the property during the depression years when the owners could no longer pay taxes. Then, in 1949, the board of education after determining that it was not practical for the board to use the land for the purposes for which it was granted, deeded the property to the Fuquay Springs American Legion Post 116. As a result the Post owns the 13 acre tract of land on Johnson’s Pond Road and 20 Acre Pond.
The post recharted on January 27th 1967 as American Legion Post 116 of Fuquay-Varina after 4 years that Fuquay Springs and Varina towns merged into Fuquay-Varina in 1963.
In 2008 a new building broke ground and was dedicated and opened on November 8th 2008. With the two buildings that house not only the Legionnaires but also the Auxiliary Unit 116, Sons of the American Legion, and American Legion Riders. The Post also has a large cooker which was used at one time to support Baseball.